At Lakeside Primary Academy we believe that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils. It helps them to develop communication skills including key skills of speaking and listening and extends their knowledge of how language works. Learning another language gives children a new perspective on the world, encouraging them to understand their own cultures and those of others.
Aims and intent of the French Curriculum
- foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to other languages in a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils;
- stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity in experimenting with it;
- support oracy and literacy, and in particular develop speaking and listening skills;
- help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences;
- lay the foundations for future language study by pupils;
How is French taught at lakeside?
Medium term plans from Year 3 to Year 6 are in place which broadly follow the Jolie Ronde scheme of work to ensure continuity and progression. The Jolie Ronde scheme is supplemented with the Early Start French scheme of work and with other French resources.
You can find out more information about the Jolie Ronde scheme here: https://www.lajolieronde.co.uk/schools-and-nurseries/
What French knowledge is taught at Lakeside?
Each year the key French knowledge builds on learning from the previous years.
An overview of the content taught in each year group can be found in the documents below.
How do I find out more information about the French curriculum?
If you have any questions about this area of the curriculum please speak to your child’s class teacher initially or to Mrs Westbrook (who can be contacted through the school office).