Year 4 Teal 2022 - 2023
Welcome Back! We are very proud of how you have returned with a positive attitude and are excited to get to work. We are really enjoying getting to know you all and we have a great year planned ahead.
Here are some important pieces of information about our class…
- Our day starts at 8:30 and ends at 3pm
- In our class expect to see - Mrs Sutherill, Mrs Bartley, Mrs Coleman and Mrs Milner.
- Our PE day is on Friday and so children are asked to come to school in their PE kit on a Friday ( please wear a school PE kit , tracksuits are available to order or children can wear blue/ black leggings or joggers and a white T shirt. Trainers need to be worn for outdoor PE please. During the colder weather a zip up jacket may also be useful. )
- Spellings are given out weekly and a short test will be given the following week, remember to practise!
All children now have a reading book. Ideally children should read at least 3 x a week at home, but more if possible! Please sign your child's reading diary as they collect house points for reading at home.
Children have log ins for the following websites and this is the learning children are expected to complete at home. Activities will be added to these websites for the children to complete.
Log in details have been sent home and children have spare copies in their drawers.
Times tables rockstars
Learning with parents ( Email invite sent to parent's email address )
Find out more about our learning...
Our curriculum Spring 1
This half term we will be focussing on multiplication and division. Within this unit we will be exploring the multiplication and division facts within the 7, 9, 11 and 12 times tables. Then, we will practise using concrete, pictorial and abstract methods to multiply and divide 2 digit numbers by 1 digit numbers, 3 digit numbers by 1 digit numbers. We will be applying our learning with problem solving and reasoning throughout the unit.
This half term, we are focussing on newspaper reports. Children will explore the features of newspaper reports using our example text based on the book 'The Firework Maker's Daughter'. We will focus on using the 5W's (who, what, where, when, why) accurately, including quotes and fronted adverbials. They will then plan, write and edit their own newspaper report.
This half term the children will explore the features and characteristics of the Earth’s layers as part of our topic Rocks, Relics and Rumbles. We will be learning about how volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis are caused and the impact these events have on the surrounding areas.
- Regular use of Times tables Rock Stars ( TTRS )
- Reading plus.
- Purple mash activities.
- Learning with parents ( New activities every 2 weeks )
- Reading school reading book x 3 times a week
In addition to the above we know that some families may like to engage in creative tasks with their children and we really encourage this. Each term we will send home a grid with optional activities for you to complete. Children are encouraged to bring in their work and share it with their classmates. The grid is attached at the bottom of the page.